This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  ems911brat 11 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    lucky
    lucky

THREE STARS !!

Appetizer menu- unimpressive;
    cornbread in it’s own little “spider” with pecan butter- more like a dessert than an appetizer- more like a corn muffin than a cornbread……

BUT…….. that’s everything negative that i have to report!

when we arrived, we were told of the 30 minute wait. we made ourselves comfortable at the bar, but, no sooner had the warden’s frozen margarita and my corona arrived than our beeper went off- 10 minutes, tops.

warden reported that it was a superior margarita; probably the best she’s had outside the home……

she had a combo plate of a 12 oz. aged beef steak and a half-rack of ribs. Young grilled asparagus shoots were done to a turn, and were served on a hot side plate (why doesn’t EVERY restaurant do this with fast-cooling veggies like these) (cauliflower and broccoli being two others)? Half the ribs came home with us, and will be shaved off the bone and turned in to the egg scramble later this morning.

I had a grilled chicken breast and shrimp combo. Chicken was flattened and grilled with the nicest little XXX patterns; just enough char in the lines to compliment the slightly sweet BBQ sauce mop-(not the same sauce that was on the warden’s ribs- i think they have a real COOK back there, not just a college kid) Shrimp were smaller than i would have liked for grilling, but there were six of them, and only slightly over-done, great!
    just slightly more food than i could eat. (warden polished off the last two shrimp) Once again, VERY hot platter, which kept the sauce and chicken warm to the last bite. Batter-dipped onion rings were not too crispy, not too much batter, and seasoned nicely with a slight red-pepper after-burn. residual frying agent on the fingers tasted buttery, not oily….perhaps a spray-bottle of melted seasoned butter near the deep fryer?? very interesting..
    mashed potatoes and gravy; potatoes had bacon bits, and the light-brown gravy was as flavorful as my own.
    two or three good-looking desserts, but we saw these only as they passed us on the way to other tables. the silk pie looked especially good, but……………………..(sigh!)

speaking of tables; we were in a booth, but we noticed that the tables in the center of the dining room were spaced nicely; they probably could have increased the number of tables by five or six, if they wanted to. as it was, a wheel-chair patron maneuvered between the other tables to get to his own with absolutely no difficulty.
    (this was a problem at Texas roadhouse- bumper to bumper tables- you almost had guests at your table, lol)

The clincher for me was that, with a 15% tip, the bill was only seven dollars more than at “paradise” (NO TIP !) the night before.

questions?
    no? then get out there!

nana

…my daughter and I truly enjoyed the Smokey Bones in Fort Wayne. Great Food and service.

It is not your “average BBQ” place.

ems911brat
    Participant

The Myrtle Beach Smokey Bones Restaurant was great loved the dining room, menu and food.. but then we ran into a nasty shock, and have NEVER gone back.

The restaurant was quite new, at a new mall in the area, there had apparently been a problem with tthe building when the plumbing between kitchen and restrooms was connected. Someone had dumped grease down a drain in the kitchen area and it turned rancid, the smell in the restrooms was so vile, you had to cover nose and mouth and still gagged.. it was AWFUL. We asked the hostess if she was aware of the problem and she said it definately was a problem, they had a plumber in the day before but he had not been able to correct the problem. And how no one wanted to stand at the hostess station because the stench was escaping from restrooms. I am surprized the health department had not paid a visit, it was that bad! 😡

TxsChef

Smokey Bones made it in Waco less than a year! Too high and in the wrong area. The food is awesome, but almost inaccessible! I really miss it. But I have my backyard, so all is good!

lucky
    lucky

WOW, Poke,
    here it was one of the most reasonable family restaurants on the strip………….guess that’s why they’re gone…………….. 🙄

TxsChef

It was the highest place in town for Smokey food!

texas girl

I never got to try Smokey Bones in Waco. It closed before I got there. 😥

82shovel
    Participant

There were 3 of them around the Florida panhandle, all 3 of them closed…I dont know if it was just a regional thing or nation wide.

lucky
    lucky

Darden Restaurants closed 56 Smokey Bones and offered another 73 for sale as part of a restructuring.
    Darden Restaurants also owns the Red Lobster and Olive Garden Chains as well.

ems911brat
    Participant

I loved the one here EXCEPT for the plumbing and awful rancid grease smell, I hope that if it is one that was closed they can fix the problem with new owners.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.