Water 1/2 gal.
Milk 1-1/2 cups
Butter 4 oz. (1/2 cup)
Salt 1 Tbsp.
Dehydrated potato flakes 1 lb. (2 qt.)
*Substitute lean beef for lamb and call it Rancher’s Stew.
1. Brown lamb in oil; when partially browned, add onion and cook until lamb is completely browned.
2. Add flour, salt and pepper; cook until meat is coated with flour. Add diced potatoes, beef broth and tomato sauce. Simmer about 1 hour or until meat is tender and sauce thickens.
3. Skim off excess fat.
4. While mixture is simmering, prepare mashed potatoes. Bring water, milk, butter and salt to a boil. Whisk in potato flakes.
5. Divide lamb mixture into two 12x20x2-inch pans. Sprinkle half of carrots and celery over top of each pan. Top each pan with scoops of mashed potatoes arranged in 4×6 rows using a No. 16 scoop.
6. Bake at 450 degrees F 15 minutes or until potatoes are browned. If desired, place pan under salamander for 1 minute or to desired degree of browning.