Home Forums Forum Recipes New! Recipes With Pictures! Seafood and Sausage Gumbo

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by lucky lucky 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    lucky
    lucky

Seafood and Sausage Gumbo
    Ingredients
    3/4 cup olive oil
    3/4 cup flour
    3 medium onions, diced
    4 stalks celery, diced
    1 large bell pepper, diced
    4 carrots, peeled and sliced
    3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
    1 pound frozen okra, diced
    1 bag (3 tablespoons) crab boil
    2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
    1 dozen little neck clams, scrubbed
    1 pound Andouille sausage, sliced thin, about 1/4 inch
    2 quarts chicken broth
    1 can diced tomatoes
    1 can Rotel tomatoes
    1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    2 tablespoons Smoked Spanish Hot Paprika
    makes About 5 Quarts
    Preparation Instructions
    Make a tea with 1 quart of chicken broth and 3 tablespoons (1 bag) of crab boil. Simmer for 15 minutes and set aside. Discard the bag of crab boil, or strain out the spice blend.
    Add the olive oil and flour to a stock pot and heat on medium-high with constant stirring until it is mahogany brown. This is roux, and it is the only difficult part of this recipe.
    The secret is constant stirring and constant attention. This will only take a few minutes. The roux must be dark brown but not burnt. There is no recovery from burned roux. If this happens, wash up and start over. Use a metal or wooden spatula, nylon or plastic will melt in the hot roux.
    Add the onions, celery and bell pepper, and stir. Add the crushed red pepper flakes and sausage and stir for several minutes.
    Add the crab boil liquid and the rest of the chicken stock. Add the potatoes, carrots, and simmer for 20 minutes.
    Add the shrimp, clams, okra, tomatoes, and paprika, and simmer for another 20 minutes. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
    Serve over rice. Use about 1/2 part rice to 1 1/2 parts gumbo.

johncutler22

Thanks for sharing Seafood Gumbo recipe.. I will try it at my home.. is that for single person only??
    I tried a gumbo cup at New Orleans Bar and Grill that was delicious .. I hope it will delicious too when i make it..
    http://www.neworleansbarandgrill.com

lucky
    lucky

This recipe makes 5 quarts ! :nana:

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.