Home Forums Forum Recipes Vegetable Recipes Red Cabbage & Cranberries

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by lucky lucky 9 years ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    lucky
    lucky

Red Cabbage & Cranberries
    2 tb Butter or margarine
    1 1/2 lb Red cabbage; shredded
    1/4 c Red wine vinegar
    1 1/4 c Sugar
    1/3 c Orange juice
    1 3″ cinnamon stick
    1 lb Fresh cranberries
    1 TBL + 1 tsp. grated orange rind

Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add cabbage and cook 5 to 6 minutes, or just until cabbage is tender. Stir in vinegar; bring mixture to a boil and cook 2 minutes. Add sugar, orange juice and cinnamon stick, stirring well. Cover, reduce heat and simmer 8 minutes. Add cranberries, stirring well; cook over medium-high heat, uncovered, for 5 to 6 minutes or until cranberry skins pop.

Remove from heat; remove and discard cinnamon. Stir in orange rind. Serve warm.

CookingwithScience
    Participant

Once again, a dish that I’ve never heard of. I mean, I did search “red cabbage and cranberries” in yahoo and it DOES appear that it’s a common dish — but why haven’t I heard of it? Oh well! Anyway, this is another dish I think I may try at some point. Of course, I think I would like to try it from someone else before going through the process of making it. Unless you can perhaps answer some questions. Is this supposed to purely be a desert (meaning is it really sweet) or is this just supposed to be a semi-sweet side dish? Thanks!

lucky
    lucky

I utilize this as a Thanksgiving side dish………

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.