Home Forums Discussions Food Recalls Not Exactly a food recall, but important Info for dogs

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #10398
    Peggy
    Member

    RAISIN POISONING IN DOGS

    (Written by a vet)

    This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen
    at MedVet. My patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male neutered lab mix who ate half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday. He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1AM on Wednesday but the owner didn’t call my emergency service until 7AM.

    I had heard somewhere about raisins AND grapes causing acute Renal
    failure but hadn’t seen any formal paper on the subject. We had her
    bring the dog in immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER service
    at MedVet, and the doctor there was like me – had heard something about
    it, but….

    Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National Animal Poison Control Center and they said to give IV fluids at 1 =C3,=C2=BD times maintenance and watch the kidney values for the next 48-72 hours.

    The dog’s BUN (blood urea nitrogen level) was already at 32 (normal less
    than 27) and creatinine over 5 ( 1.9 is the high end of normal). Both
    are monitors of kidney function in the bloodstream. We placed an IV
    catheter and started the fluids. Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and
    the BUN was over 40 and creatinine over 7 with no urine production after
    a liter of fluids.

    At the point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on
    to MedVet for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as
    well as overnight care.

    He started vomiting again overnight at MedVet and his renal values have
    continued to increase daily. He produced urine when given lasix as a
    diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and they still
    couldn’t control his vomiting. Today his urine output decreased again,
    his BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very
    elevated and his blood pressure, which had been staying around 150,
    skyrocketed to 220.. He continued to vomit and the owners elected to
    euthanize.

    This is a very sad case – great dog, great owners who had no idea
    raisins could be a toxin. Please alert everyone you know who has a dog
    of this very serious risk. Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or
    grapes could be toxic. Many people I know give their dogs grapes or
    raisins as treats including our ex-handler’s. Any exposure should give
    rise to immediate concern.

    Laurinda Morris, DVM
    Danville Veterinary Clinic

    This was sent to us by Bobby Hinson, thanks so very much.

    #40975
    generall
    Participant

    wow. Thanks for the heads up. I’ll pass this along to those I know with dogs.

    #41031
    Peggy
    Member

    Yeah, who would have thought that raisins would poison a dog?? 😯

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.