Home Forums Forum Recipes Request Recipes Fish coating

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    sharon7743

Does anyone have a recipe that is close to the “Southern Star” that I used to buy when we lived in Shreveport. I use it for fried fish. No one can cook fish up here in the north. It just doesn’t taste the same. I have had to order Red Beans online and have them shipped to me but I can’t find the “Southern Star”. Thank goodness for the internet.

Peggy

Hi Sharon, and welcome! :wave:

I’ll see what I can find for you. Nothing tastes like Southern cooking does it? 😆 You even have to order dry red beans? 😯

Glad to have you here, and jump in anytime!

Old CooT

Here are a couple links that may help,

Zatarain’s Fish Fry

http://shop.zatarains.com/default.php?categories_id=1397

Louisiana Fish Fry Products

http://www.louisianafishfry.com/shopping_additems.php?action=view_list&category=1

Southern Star Fish Fry Seasoning is made by:
    : Alferi Sauces & Seasonings
    : 1300 E North Ave
    : Little Chute, WI 54140
    : 1-800-236-7039

nana

@sharon7743 wrote:

No one can cook fish up here in the north. It just doesn’t taste the same.

…ahh, maybe ya just haven’t looked/ate in the right places…or could it be the fact that it usually isn’t just fresh caught. 😉

There are good “fish fry mixes” in Krogers, Meijer’s and a few smaller meat markets. Sometimes they are “hid” back around the meat/seafood areas.

…OR…

If ya want a cornmeal type ya can mix half & half cornmeal and flour and add the spices ya want…You can also add baking powder to this mix if ya want. (ya can put through the blender if ya want it a lighter texture.)

Ya can also use a cracker meal in place of the flour.

If ya want to get “real picky” …find ya some corn flour…which is called “Fish Fry” in southern areas.

Potato chips (ground), potato flakes, pancake mix, bread crumbs are also other things to experiment with.

Ya can use milk or buttermilk with an egg beaten to dip fish in before coating…or you can rub the fish with a light coat of mustard…or even some E V Olive Oil & hot sauce, before coating.

Good luck in finding something to your likin’!

Wally World…better known as WalMart has the dry small red beans in packages and you can buy the canned red beans in most of the grocery stores…and I have found the dry ones in other stores around here too.

@~Old CooT~ wrote:

Southern Star Fish Fry Seasoning is made by:
    : Alferi Sauces & Seasonings
    : 1300 E North Ave
    : Little Chute, WI 54140
    : 1-800-236-7039

…Looks like, from what I found, they went out of business in 2005…this one at least.

luckylucky

Cajun coating for fish

2 tablespoons paprika
    2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground white pepper
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon salt
    2 teaspoons onion powder
    2 teaspoons garlic powder
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 cup corn flour

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.