Strict Standards: Non-static method utf_normalizer::nfc() should not be called statically in /homepages/3/d196173115/htdocs/forum/includes/utf/utf_tools.php on line 1804
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1038: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1038: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4769: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4771: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4772: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4773: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/utf/utf_tools.php:1804)
Big Boy Sauce (Ohio & Michigan style) : Copycat Recipes/Bona Fide Recipes

• Advertisement

Big Boy Sauce (Ohio & Michigan style)

Copycat recipes, bonafide recipes and clone recipes; Original Pancake House Apple Pancake, Worcestershire sauce, chili's enchilada casserole, olive garden toscana soup, carraba's bread dipping sauce, subway sweet onion sauce, El Torito’s Black Bean Soup, soup nazi's crab bisque, Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning Recipe, etc.

Moderators: lucky, Christi, Norm

• Advertisement

Postby nana » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:00 pm

...I grew up in Ohio...worked at Frisch's Big Boy at 15...there in "our" area/state a white sauce was used on the Big Boy and most of their other sandwiches. This is what I truly associate with the Big Boy sandwiches instead of the pink/reddish sauce in other states' Big Boy's:

2 tbsp. dill pickle relish
1 tsp. French's prepared mustard
1 cup Hellmann's or real mayonnaise
7 drops Tabasco Sauce
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. sugar
2 tbsp. cream

*Optional: No cream and 1 tablespoon ketchup for West Coast Style.

Makes about 1 1/2 cups. Cover and Refrigerate leftover sauce for up to 2 weeks.
nana

Advertisement

Postby lucky » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:36 pm

i went to high school in livonia, mich- a detroit suburb-- now, i don't want to start a "food fight" but, in my memory, the "slim-jim"was my favorite, and our sauce (big boy) was pink.............. Daley's had the better burger, in my view, and that sauce was a pink relish-based sauce as well--and the sesame buns were huge!

i can recall spending most of a friday night just driving the mile or so from daley's to big boys to daley's to .....well, you get the idea.
:-D
Optimist ;
One who, upon discovering that a rose smells much better than a cabbage, assumes it will also make a better soup ....
lucky

Postby nana » Mon May 01, 2006 7:05 pm

No fight...Frisch's BB had white sauce for the sandwiches...you could go to Azar's BB ...Shoney's BB and they would have the pink sauce...I never could stand the pink sauce...not at Big Boy...McD's or anywhere else...but loved the white sauce. Even ask when I go in a Big Boy which sauce they use...I have found too that they have both in Michigan...so I make sure to ask for the white. You are able to buy the sauce in jars in Ohio...I know...I have/do when back there.

...Frisch's Big Boy Hamburger

It is constructed as follows, from top to bottom:

Toasted plain top bun
Shredded lettuce
Frisch's Tartar Sauce
1/8 lb beef patty
Toasted plain center bun
Frisch's Tartar Sauce
Slice of American cheese
1/8 lb beef patty
Pickles
Toasted plain bottom bun

...I have put a few web sites for proof...

http://www.frischs.com/about3.asp
http://www.frischs.com/about_tartar.asp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Boy_(restaurant)

...The Super Big Boy® is a juicy 1/2 lb. of beef on a double-deck bun with the delicious trimmings and tartar sauce that make Frisch's famous
nana

Postby lucky » Mon May 01, 2006 7:49 pm

i've never known about the white............. and was always happy with the pink................what i REALLY miss is that daley burger!..........and the slim jim, which i think they discontinued long ago........
thanks, Nana.
Optimist ;
One who, upon discovering that a rose smells much better than a cabbage, assumes it will also make a better soup ....
lucky

Postby nana » Mon May 01, 2006 11:09 pm

They still have it on the menu in some of the ones I have been in in the past few years...They are one of my favorites too. I usually have to hit the Frisch's when I get back home at least a couple of times. Love the strawberry pie, too! :wink:

Don't know what the daley burger is though

Slim Jim's

...Use Lean ham, Swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato, grill on a Grecian roll. Spread on some of the Big Boys Sauce. Serve with a few pickles.
..........................................................................................................
Here are a couple copy cats...

SLIM JIM SANDWICH SAUCE LIKE BIG BOY RESTAURANT #1

1 1/4 c. mayonnaise
3/4 c. Miracle Whip
1 T. dry minced onion, crushed
1/4 t. Tabasco sauce
4 t. finely chopped dill pickle (or grated on vegetable grater)
2 T. dill pickle juice
1/2 t. Dijon mustard
1 t. sugar

Mix together thoroughly as listed. Refrigerate in covered container to use within 2 weeks.
(makes 2 cups)

Big Boy Slim Jim Sandwich #2

6 ounces thinly sliced Virginia Baked Ham
3 ounces thinly sliced natural Swiss Cheese
1 (6- or 8-inch) hoagie or sub-style sandwich roll
4 thin tomato slices
Shredded lettuce
Sandwich sauce or Thousand Island dressing
1 tablespoon Butter or margarine, softened

Heat a griddle or large skillet over medium-high heat. Butter the inside of the sandwich roll, both top and bottom, and lightly brown on the griddle. Remove bread from griddle. On the bottom of the sandwich roll arrange (in order) ham, cheese, lettuce, tomato. Spread the top of the roll with sandwich sauce and place on top of the assembled sandwich.

Place sandwich on griddle (bottom down) and weight with a heavy metal pan lid. Grill sandwich until the cheese melts. Cut in half, garnish with a dill pickle spear and serve with potato chips or hand-cut french fries.
nana

Postby lucky » Thu May 04, 2006 7:44 pm

oh my! thx gal!

:stirpot:
Optimist ;
lucky

• Advertisement

Learn To Bake The Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies that will have everyone begging you for the recipe.

Bake cookies like a pro with this step by step full color guide:

Click For Details

Return to Copycat Recipes/Bona Fide Recipes