This rich and flavorful sloppy joe recipe comes out so much better than the canned version!
Author: Chef Tom
Recipe type: Main Dish
Serves: 6-8 servings
- 2-1/2 pounds Ground Beef
- ½ whole Large Onion, Diced
- 1 whole Large Green Bell Pepper, Diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 5 cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1-1/2 cup Ketchup
- 1 cup Water
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Chili Powder (more To Taste)
- 1 teaspoon Dry Mustard
- ½ teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes (more To Taste)
- Worcestershire Sauce, To Taste
- 2 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- Salt To Taste
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper, To Taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add ground beef and cook until brown. Drain most of the fat and discard.
- Add onions, green pepper, celery and garlic. Cook for a few minutes, or until vegetables become tender. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Add ketchup, brown sugar, chili pepper, dry mustard, and water. Stir to combine and simmer for 15 minutes, adding salt and pepper to taste. Also add tomato paste and Worcestershire. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Serve on rolls.