Crispy Crunchy Fried Chicken
My version of this classic fried chicken recipe. Comes out so crunchy and crispy!
* 1 whole chicken, cut up
* 3 cups all-purpose flour
* 3 cups buttermilk
* 4 cups shortening
* 1-2 teaspoons salt
* 1-2 teaspoons pepper
* 1-2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
* 1-2 teaspoons Cayenne pepper
* 1-2 teaspoons garlic powder
* 1-2 teaspoons onion powder
* water, to cover chicken
1. Place chicken in a bowl and cover with water. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it sit in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours.
2. In another bowl, combine the flour and spices. Mix well.
3. Pour the buttermilk into another bowl.
4. Heat the shortening in a heavy skillet to about 300 degrees F.
5. Remove the chicken from the refrigerator and drain the water, pat the chicken dry.
6. First dip the chicken in the buttermilk, then into the flour mixture. Be sure to coat the chicken well with the flour mixture. Then dip the chicken back into the buttermilk and back into the flour for a second coating.
7. Fry the chicken 3-4 pieces at a time in the hot shortening. Cook for about 10-12 minutes on each side.
8. Place the chicken on a baking sheet and put it in a 200 degrees F oven while you cook the remaining chicken.