Marbled Cheesecake Brownies
Bring on all the sweet tooths! This recipe takes the classic brownie to another level.
8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
2/3 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 large egg white
1 tablespoon cake flour
1 cup sifted cake flour
1/2 cup dutch-process cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
2 large egg whites
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
To Make Cheesecake Topping:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil an 8-by-11 1/2-inch baking pan or coat it with nonstick cooking spray. Dust with flour, tapping out the excess. Set aside.
2. With an electric mixer, beat cream cheese at medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 1 minute. Beat in sugar and vanilla until very smooth, 2 to 3 minutes. Beat in egg, followed by egg white; beat 2 to 3 minutes to thoroughly blend. Add 1 tablespoon flour and, with the mixer on low speed, beat just until blended. Set aside.
To Make Brownie Batter:
1. In a small bowl, whisk flour, cocoa and salt. In a large bowl, beat brown sugar, oil, buttermilk, egg, egg whites, and vanilla on high speed until smooth, making sure no lumps of brown sugar remain. Add the dry ingredients and beat on low speed just until blended.
2. Set aside 1/2 cup of the brownie batter. Transfer the remaining brownie batter to the prepared pan, spreading it into the comers and smoothing the surface. Carefully pour the reserved cheesecake topping onto the batter and spread it evenly to the edges. Dot the cheesecake layer with the remaining brownie batter. Without disturbing the brownie layer, swirl the cheesecake layer with a table knife.
3. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, just until the top is set Let cool completely in the pan on a wire rack before cutting. Makes 16 cheesecake brownies.
220 calories per brownie: 4 grams protein, 7 grams fat (2 grams saturated fat), 34 grams carbohydrate; 155 mg sodium; 37 mg cholesterol; 0 grams fiber