Homemade Fresh Fruit Spread

Did you know how easy it is to make your own fruit spread at home using fresh fruit? Many of you grow fruits in your garden, or your local market has a great selection of fresh fruit. Now you can prepare fresh fruit spread without any additives or preservatives. Try this out with raspberries, strawberries, blackberries, etc. Store bought spreads contain so much sugar, but at home you can use less sugar and let the natural fruit flavor stand out.

BeriesYou will need:

1 quart of fresh fruit
2 cups sugar

Carefully wash the fruit, remove any stems or discolored berries. Place in a large saucepan with one cup of sugar. Cook over low heat for about 30 minutes. Be sure to stir the pot every 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool. Now re-heat the pot over low heat and add one cup of sugar. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Let cool. Pour into glass jars. Keep refrigerated. Also note that these spreads will not keep as long as store bought since they do not contain any preservatives.

Enjoy !

19 Responses

1. Nice tip. Thanks for sharing it.

2. Dawn says:

Special and Simple – This gets a loud Partybluprints.com "Cheers To Extraordinary Entertaining!"

3. datenverlust says:

I hearted that its easy to make own fruit spread at home using fresh fruit but I don't know the proper way,thanks for sharing.

4. t says:

question: I thought fruit spreads were suppose to be made using juice not sugar??? any clarifications

5. kathy foster says:

my husband is a diabetic what is the best sugar substitue to use for cooking and how much

6. Great recipe. Although I would use Stevia rather than artificial sweeteners. Much safer, and it's natural too.

7. I usually use honey or natural juice when making fresh fruit spread. I like it made natural and less preservatives as much as possible.

8. berries are good to our health. i love eating any kind of berries. i will try this. promise.

9. Toni says:

Would love to have natural fruit spread recipes for my mom-in-law who has recently been diagnosed with diabetes and has the cravings for sweets.

10. Melody says:

I'm sure agave nectar would work for the sugar (it's 90% fructose if I'm not mistaken). It's low glycemic load, and it tastes and looks much like honey. Yummy on pancakes!

11. I think, it is good if we change sugar with honey when making fresh fruit spread

12. Holly says:

If you are diabetic and need to subsitute sugar for a no calorie sweetener, that is one thing. However there is not much point in subsituting honey for sugar. They are, essentially, the same thing…one is just liquid. Sugar IS a natural substance! It's made from plants…sugar cane or sugar beets. It makes no sense to say things without sugar are "more natural". If you need or want it lower calorie, just use less sugar, instead of man made chemicals. Even with the 2 cups of sugar, this has MUCH less sugar than canned jams and jellies.

13. Mary says:

If you want a natural sweetener use stevia, sugar and honey are as bad as artificial sweetener. I usually choose mature fruits that are sweeter and that's it, no any other sweetner needed.

14. launceston computers says:

Thanking for sharing the information that how to prepare the Homemade Fresh Fruit Spread.

so far I have not tried this. But after reading this blog I am really interested to prepare. The steps that you have specified to prepare is not that much tough I think its bit easy one.I am sure that I ll come back to this blog after preparing and tasting this.

15. I really like this recipe the cook book might be interesting too.

16. Miracle Fruit says:

I like the recipe – lots of sugar, but like another poster says, stevia will do.

17. fruit strawberries says:

very good recipe……I have tried it! Thanks!

18. Synsepalum says:

I really appreciate this thread. I wish more dietitians knew of the good that Synsepalum offers. Anyway, I just wanted to say cheers!