Tom’s Split Pea Soup
-8 OZ Bacon, Fine Diced
-1/2 Bundle Celery, Small Dice
-2 Spanish Onions, Small Dice
-6 Cloves Garlic, Chopped
-1 Pound Bliss Potatoes, Small Dice
-1 1/2 Pounds Ham Hochs
-1 1/2 Gallon Chicken Stock
-1 1/2 Pounds Green Split Peas
-3 Bay Leaves
-Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Sautee Bacon until rendered.
2. Add Celery, Onions and Garlic, Sautee until transparent.
3. Add Ham Hoch’s, Split Peas, Bay Leaves and Chicken Stock, bring to simmer and cook for about 1 1/2 hours or until peas are tender.
4. Add Potatoes to the last 30 minutes of cooking time (leave dry potatoes in water until ready to use so not to discolor).
5. Remove Ham Hoch’s and Bay Leaves from soup.
6. Diced lean meat from Ham Hoch’s and return to soup.
7. If too thick add additional stock.
8. Season to taste and remove from heat.