No Egg Tiramisu
One of my readers requested a version on Tiramisu without eggs. So here I am to the rescue!
* Mascarpone (or best-quality cream cheese), 18 ounces
* Heavy Cream, 3 cups
* Confectioner’s Sugar, 1-1/2 cups + 2 tablespoons
* Rum, 8 tablespoons
* Vanilla Extract, 1 teaspoon
* Sponge Cake, about 14″ by 8″ cut in half horizontally
* Cocoa, unsweetened Dutch process, 2 tablespoons
* Semisweet Chocolate, 1/2 ounce
1. Press Mascarpone through a wire-mesh sieve into a mixing bowl. Or, process with a few pulses in food processor with steel blade.
2. Process until smooth.
3. Add the cream, 1-1/2 cups of sugar, half the rum, and the vanilla.
4. Beat the mixture with a wooden spoon or process until smooth and creamy.
5. Brush each layer of the cake with 2 tablespoons of rum.
6. Spread half the cheese mixture on top of one layer of cake.
7. Cover with the second cake layer.
8. Spread the remaining cheese filling over the top layer.
9. Mix the cocoa and remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar, and sieve over the cake.
10. Grate the chocolate over the cocoa.