This Latin American snack fun to make and a great alternative to potato chips. They might look like bananas, but plantains are often referred to as a “cooking banana”.
Yields: 4 1/2 cups of chips
3 Large green plantains, peeled and very thinly sliced (unripe works best)
Salt, to taste
1. Cover plantain slices with iced water and let stand 30 minutes.
2. Drain and pat dry.
3. Heat about 1 inch of oil in a saucepan to 375 degrees.
4. Fry 10-15 plantain slices at a time in t he oil for about 2 minutes, turning occasionally.
5. Remove with a slotted spoon when golden brown.
6. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt.